Not sure where I got this recipe originally. Honestly, I wrote it down in my recipe book a few years ago and never looked back! This is a super quick and easy weeknight meal with minimal dishes… what’s not to love!? You can also reserve some quinoa for an easy lunch the next day. (Next day’s salad: Add a handful of spinach, some chickpeas and a bit of feta!)
1 cup quinoa
1 cup vegetable broth (unsalted or lower sodium)
1 cup water
2-4 salmon fillets with or without skin (about ¼ pound per serving)
½ tsp salt
¼ tsp pepper
1 tsp cumin
½ tsp paprika
¼ tsp cayenne
2 tbsp olive oil
¾ cup cucumber (english), diced
¾ cup tomatoes (roma), chopped
¼ cup red onion finely diced (or less, totally a personal pref!)
4 large basil leaves, thinly sliced
1 lemon, zested and cut into wedges
¼ cup fresh parsley, chopped
- First make the quinoa: in a medium pan with a lid bring the quinoa, vegetable stock and water to a boil. Cover and reduce heat to a simmer, cook about 20 min or until liquid is gone. When done, remove from heat.
- While quinoa is cooking, prep the salmon. First combine the salt, pepper, cumin, paprika, and cayenne. Season the salmon with the mixture.
- In a large skillet over medium heat add the olive oil and place salmon skin side down, cook for 5 minutes. Flip over and cook for additional 5 minutes, or until done. Remove skin.
- While the salmon is cooking, prep the fresh ingredients including the cucumber, tomatoes, onion, basil, lemon, and parsley.
- Add the cucumber, tomatoes, onion, basil, and lemon zest to quinoa, toss to combine.
- Serve in a shallow bowl with quinoa salad on the bottom, salmon fillet on top with a wedge of lemon and sprinkle of parsley!